Hi Beautiful Ladies!!! The weather’s changing and if you’re like me you’re ready to put those boots away, step into your cutest sandals, and head to the beach! Now that you’re all “natural” most of you feel like “YES, I can finally go swimming and not have to worry about my hair” true but not entirely.
The question now is how can we keep this hair of ours moisturize, when the SUN plays a major role in drying out natural hair. I have provided a list of 10 easy Summer/Spring hair tips used to combat dry hair…hope this helps!
1. Swimming This Summer?
-Be sure to protect your hair by wearing a swim cap. After swimming, wash and condition your hair as usual. Now, for those who want to be cute and would rather not be seen in a swim cap, make sure your hair is detangled before diving into chlorine or salt water. If you’ve been waiting for a good time to use your clarifying shampoo, now’s the time to use it. Clarifying shampoos are specifically created for getting rid of chlorine and other harming chemicals.
2. Stay Away From Drying Products
-It’s already difficult enough to keep our hair moisturized. Avoid using products that contain alcohol, sulfur, and formaldehyde all in which aid in stripping moisture from your hair. Instead opt for those products containing natural oils and humectants.
3. Humectants (Honey & Glycerin)
–During the summer months, if you live in a more humid climate, humectants are your best friend. Common humectants include honey, glycerin, castor oil, panthenol, hydrolized wheat protein, and propylene glycol. These ingredients draw moisture from the humidity in the air into your hair leaving it shiny and healthy. Now for those living in a drier climate, using humectants can be bad because if the air is dry, the humectants will pull the moisture out of your hair.
**Note: I personally love to use castor oil during the summer months as well adding honey to my deep conditioners.
4. Air Dry or Limit the use of direct heat
– “Wash-n-Go” styles are great to add to your Summer/Spring hair regimen. By doing this you’ll be allowing your hair to air dry rather than applying heat which could lead to damage hair. For those who’d rather wear their hair straight, make sure to apply a heat protectant to your hair before using a heat appliance. Use the lowest settings on the appliance to avoid damage.
5. Deep Conditioning
-Be sure to deep condition your hair weekly. This can be done by using a good moisturizing conditioner or by doing a hot oil treatment.
6. Use a Thick leave-in Conditioner
-After deep conditioning your hair you should ALWAYS apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair to retain moisture.
7. Moisture & Seal
-Your hair thrives on moisture. Make sure to apply a moisturizer to the ends of your hair followed by an oil to seal the moisture in as needed.
8. Baggy Method
– Apply a moisturizer to your hair, and then cover your hair with plastic cap to trap in the moisture. This method is used to retain moisture in the hair and is very good for those who have dry, brittle strands. This can be done overnight.
9. Co-Wash Your Hair
– It may help to wash your hair with conditioner instead of using shampoo. This method cleanses your hair while helping you to maintain moisture without stripping the hair of its natural oils.
10. Stay Hydrated!
-It’s simple…DRINK MORE WATER!! Keep your body hydrated starting on the inside first.
Alright ladies, there you have it. Again, I hope this helps. What measures are you taking to combat dry hair?